Seminar: Summer Semester 2023; Albert-Ludwigs University of Freiburg; Faculty of Engineering, Department of Computer Science
- (Apr 12, 2023) Dates have changed
- (Mar 16, 2023) Times for Session II and III changed
- (Feb 16, 2023) Website created, dates confirmed
Host & Support
- Host: Apl. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Cai-Nicolas Ziegler
- Lecture Support: n/a
Personalization techniques and recommender systems have come of age and have become integral parts of our everyday life on the Web. They represent suitable means for decision support and are thus of utter practical relevance while – at the same time – being based on solid theoretical foundations in statistics and machine learning.
At the same time, while having those solid theoretical foundations, recommender systems also exhibit very practical aspects and thus represent a domain of research where theory and practice keep driving the frontier in tandem, making recommender systems research one of the most vividly investigated.
The seminar at hand aims to investigate the foundations and algorithmic clockworks of recommender systems, their limitations and applications to different domains, as well as their practical use.
We kindly ask prospective participants to apply via the university’s online application system for participation in the indicated seminar. Please note that the number of participants is limited to 5 with no exception.
The seminar is organized as an “en bloc seminar”, consisting of two sessions with mandatory participation.
- Session I: The first session will be held on Wednesday, April 19 2023, 17.30h s.t. as a remote session. The aim of this first session is to provide all participants with basic knowledge about recommender systems and what will be asked of students in terms of presentation skills and the writing of a scientific report, present the topics to be elaborated in presentations, and assign topics to participants. Moreover, the first session will address the organization of the second session.
- Session II: The second session will feature the first part of oral presentations of all 5 participants and take place Tuesday, May 23, 2023, 17.30h s.t. as a remote session.
- Session III: The third session will feature the second part of oral presentations, plus final feedback to students. It will take place Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 17.30h s.t. as a remote session.
- ECTS: 4 cr. (equals 2 SWS)
- Language: English/German
Prerequisites for Passing
Participation in both sessions is absolutely mandatory. Also, the students need to submit certain deliverables that will be graded:
- Written report (max. 8 pages DIN A4, 12 pt., single-spaced, one-column); submission date will be announced in the first session (submit to cai.ziegler at hotmail dot de)
- Oral presentation (English or German) of 30 mins; discussion and question 10 mins; presentations have to be in PPT and must follow the style template handed out in the first session
The final grade is composed 60% oral presentation plus participation in discussions, and 40% written report.
Topics and References
Topics and references are contained in the document handed out in the first session. Note that the indicated paper references are only meant as starting point.
Students are highly encouraged to search for other suitable references.